Sunday, February 26, 2012

Freshman Year

All my life I dreamed of going to BYU for college. In fact, I was so set on going there that I didn't even apply anywhere else before I graduated from high school. Thank goodness I got in. Everything went according to my plan. I was living with a friend from high school and I had an All-Sports Pass, what more could I ask for?

What I had not anticipated was my homesickness. I had no idea how much I would miss my family. The summer before I went to college my little sister, Krista, and I spent almost every waking minute together. We worked all day together and hung out all night. She was my best friend and I didn't realize how much I had come to rely on her companionship.

My bright dream of going to BYU was dimmed by my feeling of loneliness about being away from my family. I hated the idea of missing things, even little things like everyone getting together for dinner. My nieces were growing up so fast and I was missing all the cute things they were doing.

Not only was I feeling lonely away from my family, but it is easy to feel alone and insignificant when there are so many talented, smart, pretty girls at BYU. Everyone was Laurel President, sang in high school and graduated with honors.

Because of these things, my freshman year was not everything I had hoped it would be. I did well in school, I had a job and supported myself. I became best friends with two of the best people I know, my roommates, and I learned so much from them. I also learned a lot about myself. I learned how important family is to me. I learned the things that I need to do to keep myself happy. I learned how to go to college and live on my own. And lastly, I learned how to love what I had chosen for myself. Even though I was away from my family, I was still doing a lot of fun and important things that I wanted to do. I wanted to be at BYU and experiencing college and going to football games and staying up all hours of the night and crying about boys and stressing about classes.

That's what college is all about. Learning and growing. So, I'd say my freshman year was successful.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. And am grateful you went through it first so I didn't feel quite so silly or surprised when I felt the same way. Love you!

    ReplyDelete