Sunday, February 12, 2012

The time I got called to be Primary President

This is going to be a long post because I want to remember the details of this experience, but I hope it will be fairly entertaining, as well.


One day, on the way back from Stake Conference, Peter and I were talking about how the ward we live in is such a great ward to get leadership experience in and how there are so many people to learn from, mostly referring to Peter because I was planning on teaching my Primary class until we moved. Coincidentally, the Primary President in our ward had just got called to the Stake Young Women's Presidency during this conference. Cindy and I have become great friends and I tell her she is my mom in the ward because I still need one. I had told her how sad I was that she wasn't going to be in Primary anymore and then went on my merry way.


Wednesday, Peter got a phone call from the first counselor in our bishopric, asking him to speak. I had a great time laughing at him that he had to speak and I didn't. Little did I know that he would soon be the one laughing.... And much harder.


Thursday, our Bishop called on Peter's phone and asked to talk to me. He asked if he could come over. While we waited for him to come over, I was telling Peter that there was no way that he was calling me to the Primary President and that being a counselor wouldn't be so bad, that I felt like I could handle that, etc. I was pacing the whole time and had butterflies like I do when I'm watching the end of a close BYU vs. Utah game.
The Bishop came over and after a few minutes of small talk that I have absolutely no recollection of due to my nerves, he laid it all down. He asked me to be the Primary President. He then proceeded to tell me everything that I would be in charge of. As the list kept going on, Cub Scouts, Activity Days, the Primary Program, a ward activity, managing teachers old enough to be my parents and grandparents, handling the mutiny-YES MUTINY, I had to fight back the tears. 


Peter kept trying to make jokes about how funny it was that this was seriously happening by throwing in references to my age-I am only 21 people!, and how I am just a little busy with nursing school-thank goodness I quit my job! I was laughing, perhaps mostly out of nervousness and overwhelm for what was taking place or because Peter thought he was being super hilarious, but our Bishop did not find any of this humorous.


When I told my mom, looking to her for some sympathy, she said that I should be grateful that it wasn't Young Women's because that is a lot more time. I told her that yes, I was grateful, especially since I am only 3 years older than some of the girls!


In all seriousness, after 3 1/2 months of experience, it really hasn't been that bad. Some Sundays, like today, I come home with my brain feeling like I have been studying for 10 hrs straight and my body feeling like I have just run 10 miles, but I really do love the kids. I have always heard that when you get a calling, your love for the people you serve is so natural and full, but I had never experienced it until now. I have been humbled many times as I make mistakes, forget things, and plan the occasional sharing time that goes horribly. But I have also learned a lot. To delegate (I'm still working on that one), to trust in myself and my abilities, but mostly that I really can do hard things. And I can do them well.




Two funny events from today: 
After shushing a Sunbeam multiple times while I was teaching sharing time as he made really loud noises with his tongue, he said to me, "Why are you being so naughty with me today?" I guess I need to be more compassionate with my shushing.
After church one of the teachers came up to me and said she had a funny story to tell me. Someone had asked her who the Primary President was because she had no idea who I was (I have been in Primary since week 3 of being in the ward). This teacher told her that I was the one who looked like one of the kids. Nice....

No comments:

Post a Comment