Monday, March 18, 2013

Church, Church and more Church

Peter and I live a very glamorous and exciting life. Two weeks ago, we got to go to a Boy Scouts training called "Little Philmont" on Friday night and most of the day Saturday. Apparently the real Philmont is pretty cool. It's a week long camp in New Mexico where you take your family and do all kinds of fun activities. I'm not sure why this was called Little Philmont because it was basically nothing like that.

It was pretty interesting, but it was mostly geared toward the Boy Scouts, so a lot of the information did not necessarily apply to me. There were a couple of good sessions where we gave ideas about Cub Scouts and how to integrate the Faith in God program into the weekly meetings. I decided that's what I would focus on since that's the Primary's responsibility.

My very first Scouting badge... hopefully I don't collect too many of these over the years.

Cub Scouts is sort of my least favorite thing about being the Primary President. (And, now that I've said that, I've basically sealed my fate on what my next calling will be.) I just really don't like the production of scouts. The skits that no one can hear because the boys are so embarrassed they whisper their lines, the cheesy cheers, etc. I do think the scouting program can be effective, I just wish it was simpler. And that I didn't get in trouble for not buying and wearing a 40 dollar shapeless, brown shirt to the meetings.


For our date night this past weekend, we went to the Saturday night adult session of Stake Conference. Peter and I had been asked to sing with two other couples, so we were there an extra hour. We basically just live at the Church these days. (A funny side note, when I told Peter that we were going to sing, he said, "I'm not." in a very matter of fact way. He was under the impression that it was just the two of us singing. I was able to convince him when I said there would be two other men singing the same part as him. Thanks to Mom and Dad Jones for making him go to choir all those years growing up!)


The only redeeming thing about all these Church meetings is that I actually get to sit next to Peter. Here's to Stake Conference in another six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment